Anthony Joshua reveal his plans after tough tie against Ruiz!
When Anthony Joshua heads to Saudi Arabia in December to take on Andy Ruiz Jr, he has an awful lot to lose on a night when “the whole world will stand still” according to promoter Eddie Hearn.
While that does not include his old WBA, IBF, WBO and IBO heavyweight titles that he surrendered on June 1 in New York, AJ’s career would lose a sense of direction and there would be an eery uncertainty over what comes next.
When asked if he’s even considered being in such position, the former world champion insisted that whatever happens, he will fight on and continue his climb back to the top.
“If you know me from the amateurs when I’ve lost from certain fights you get back up and keep on going,” he said.
“If I did lose to Andy Ruiz or I lost my next ten fights, maybe the next ten fights weren’t for me, but the eleventh one might be.
“That’s all we’re saying, in some people’s eyes it maybe more than that but in my eyes, as long as I’m consistent I will prevail and get where I want to get to. Consistency is important.”
During his six-year amateur career, Joshua was beaten three times by Dillian Whyte, Mihai Nistor and Magomedrasul Medzhidov. All of these experiences, he claims have helped him in the wake of his professional defeat.
Now the gruelling three-day media tour which also included pitstops in Diriyah and New York is done, the hard work with Rob McCracken really begins.
While the 29-year-old is expected to cut down muscle and trim off some weight for Clash On the Dunes, he insists he won’t be adopting an entirely different approach when he trades leather with Ruiz once again.
“I’m going to go in there and do the same thing,” a confident Joshua added.
“I was 50 per cent of the way to getting the win. When I said it was a punch from the gods [the shot that rocked AJ], it wasn’t to say it was a lucky punch because he trains for them and I train to defend a hook but it was just a shot that caught me in the head that I couldn’t recover from. It was pitch perfect.
“For me I can go in there and do the same thing and maybe take a bit more time.
“In terms of crashing down, I don’t feel like I’ve fallen so far down the tree that I’ve got to wait two years to have the rematch again, it’s happening in three months.
“I know how to fight, so if I was to change everything now I think it would be too risky.
“We haven’t got time to change and amend, we’ll just add little things and differences.”
The rematch takes place in Diriyah on December 7 at a newly-constructed 16,000-seat outdoor area and will be live on Sky Sports Box Office.